Morello Cherry Bakewell Flapjacks
What you’ll need
For the cake:
- 300g porridge oats
- 80g plain flour
- 150g ground almonds
- 260g butter or baking margarine
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 4-5 heaped tablespoons golden syrup
- ½ jar morello cherry jam
- Handful of flaked almonds
- 3 heaped teaspoons icing sugar
- A little cold water
- 8” square tin
- Large bowl
How to bake Morello Cherry Bakewell Flapjacks
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees fan oven. Grease and line an 8” x 8” baking tin.
- Put the butter (or baking margarine) into a saucepan with the almond extract and golden syrup, and heat gently until it is all melted and mixed together.
- Put the oats, flour and ground almonds into a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly.
- Halve the mixture and press one half of it into the baking tin with the back of a spoon, making sure you cover the entire bottom of the tin including the corners.
- Spread the jam on top of this layer. Be very gentle when you do this or you will drag the bottom layer too. The easiest way to do this is drop small amounts of jam all over the oat layer and spread it gently over a small area.
- Spread the remaining oat mixture over the top of the jam layer. Again do this by adding small amounts over the top of the jam, pressing it down over a small area so you don’t drag the jam.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the oat layer is starting to turn golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin, then use the paper you lined the tin with to lift it out and onto a work top.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough water (1 teaspoon should do) to make a thick but runny icing. Dribble this over the top of the flapjack and sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top. Leave to set.
- Cut into 9 squares.
To celebrate the arrival of Caketober, theEword’s Daniel Nolan and Samantha Bell headed over to Forever Manchester HQ to chat all things fancy dress and fondant fancy!More»
Each year, Caketober raises money for Forever Manchester but what is Forever Manchester and who does it set out to help?More»
Find out how you can help raise money to support Forever Manchester for Caketober. On your marks, get set, bake!More»
This delicious tea loaf is excellent served on its own or slathered in butter. Mmmmm!View Recipe»