Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
This chocolate cake recipe uses cups as measurements, so make sure you have some of these first, or you can look online for the weight conversions.
What you’ll need
For the cake:
1 cup almond milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cake tin
- Mixing bowl
- Greaseproof paper
How to bake Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4. 350F, 180C.
- Line your cake tin with greasproof paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the milk and vinegar together. Then add the sugar, extracts and oil. Try using a fork at this stage just to make sure there’s no lumps and it’s truly mixed.
- Then using a sieve, add the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. You might need to do this in two batches depend on how big your sieve is!
- Mix the batter until there are no big lumps, some smaller ones are okay. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for around 35 minutes. Or until a tooth pick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool before you add any toppings (we won’t tell anyone if you cheat at this bit and use a Betty Crocker frosting or similar). The picture in this recipe uses Tesco Bourbon Biscuit Spread as the topping (which handily is also suitable for vegans!) Or you can keep it classic and just add some icing sugar on the top through a sieve.
- If you make this recipe, why not let Susie know! You can tweet her at @oldfashionedsus or tag on Instagram.
From the hottest wings in the world to an Italian feast, let’s take a look at the best mouth-watering food challenges.More»
To whet your appetite for the great Mancunian bake-off that is Caketober next month, here are some facts and figures about that ultimate indulgence food.More»
We asked the great and good of Manchester to take on the Pie Face challenge for Caketober, while answering some […]More»